Turn your notebook into a “camera.” Write a scene. Then rewrite it. Change the angle in some way. Use a different point of view. Change the sense it is written in. Change the gender or race of the main character. Change the genre of the story. Then rewrite it again. And then one more time, for feeling.
Now, look back at your 4 scenes. Consider the ways that the scene changed in each telling.
- Did it change a lot or only a little?
- Do you think it did/didn’t because of your writing skill or because the “angle” required it.
- What other angles can you think of to give this scene?
- Which scene would you want to read the rest of the story? Why?
- How does the angle effect your writing?
- Were there angles that you liked? Or ones that you didn’t?